So what is a CMS? CMS stands for Content Management System. It is the system that sits behind a website that gives website administrators the ability to manage the website’s content.
If you’ve ever been tasked with selecting one, you’ll know that there are hundreds if not thousands available. With so many Content Management Systems to choose from, how do you even begin to select one that’s right for you and your business?
Once you have chosen if you want an open source or proprietary based solution (a whole other conversation) and what you want the system for, when comparing Content Management Systems, we recommend you assess the following:
- How intuitive is the system to use? It needs to allow for efficient working by staff at all levels so it should be simple to navigate and use yet powerful enough to perform all the required functions with ease
- Is there a limit on the number of users, pages, uploads or forms in the CMS? There shouldn’t be any limits placed on these allowing your website to grow over time
- Has the system been built with SEO in mind? Does it allow editing of the meta data of all pages? Is this easy to do? Does it allow the creation of ‘friendly’ URLs?
- Is there a roll back facility allowing you to revert to previous versions of a page? Are all changes tracked?
- Can you upload images in all required sizes in one go?
- Does it have the ability to create and edit forms and log responses?
- Is it web-based? If it is, this saves the IT department (if you have one) a lot of work as they do not have to have anything installed on user’s PC’s other than a web browser with access to the internet. It then also allows easy home working.
- Does it allow bespoke, customised development?
- Costs – what are the one-off initial costs and what are the ongoing costs?
- Is there is a license fee to pay? Generally with a proprietary CMS, you do have to pay a license fee, but for this you should get free upgrades to the latest system with new functionality
A great CMS should provide you with all this and more.
We always recommend seeing a demo of the CMS allowing you to assess how easy it is to use, what functionality it has and how it could be adapted to fit with your business. If you would like to arrange a demo of the SimpleClick Desktop CMS, click here >>
We also think it is important that you get on well with the company providing the CMS. Here at SimpleClick, we pride ourselves on our customer service and our ability to build lasting relationships, working in partnership with our customers.
Remember to also take a look at the clients list of your chosen provider. The SimpleClick Desktop CMS is used by the following clients:
- Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
- Wheatley Associates
- House of Elliot Collection
If you would like further information about how SimpleClick can help you with your website project, then please feel free to contact us email@example.com or call 0844 736 2747.